How this scam works:
- The criminal cold calls by telephone
- They may say they are calling to let you know about a crime awareness campaign running in your area.
- They offer a security check of your home and to fit a security alarm
- They claim to be working for the Council security team.
- In one incident when the resident said another adult lived at the property the criminal hung up
- Do not respond to cold callers
- Never agree to work from cold a caller
- Follow the Kent Police 3 Step Protect advice to keep your home safe
- If you require home security use reputable traders who are members of the KCC Trading Standards approved trader scheme, run in partnership with Checkatrade
- Get a minimum of 3 quotes in writing
Please warn family members, friends and neighbours.