Please be aware! We have received several reports from elderly residents across Kent reporting doorstep criminals cold calling for roofing work.
- The criminals are pressuring residents into having work done on their roof by claiming urgent repairs need to be carried out.
- The work is often not needed at all.
- In one case the resident was quoted £14,000 for the work which was reduced to £5000 when the resident said they couldn’t pay the higher amount.
The resident was told to pay the £5000 in cash and the criminals drove the resident to the bank to withdraw money.
What to do:
Reputable traders and contractors do not cold-call for business and they will NEVER ask you to go to the bank or cash point.
- ALWAYS refuse on the spot repairs.
- Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into having work done. If you ask them to leave and they don’t, contact the police on 999.
- Use reputable traders who are members of the KCC Trading Standards approved trader scheme, run in partnership with Checkatrade
- Ask for quotes in writing and check that the tradesperson is from the company they claim to be from.
Warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.
If you feel afraid or threatened by a doorstep caller, phone 999.
Please report any suspicious doorstep callers to us.